I love Scrabble!

And I love my boyfriend more. <3 So when I saw this, I thought it was perfect! Except for the price. Almost $100 in US currency!

Love You Scrabble Tile Artwork

I bet I can make that myself! I looked into buying some scrabble tiles, but all I could find were icky plastic ones. So I figured that I could make those as well. I found a slightly damaged shadowbox at Michaels, on clearance for $4. I was looking through my piles of scrap wood in the garage and I saw that I had a ton of leftover paint sticks! Free and just the right size to replicate a Scrabble tile on. So I used my little mitre box and a handsaw and started cutting out my tiles.



I sanded the edges and corners to make them look a bit more worn, like real game tiles. Then to start the lettering! I found a picture of some Scrabble tiles online and printed out the entire alphabet. I picked out the letter that I needed and then rubbed pencil lead all over the back of the image. Then ai put each letter onto the tile and drew over the letter to transfer them onto the tile. Then I went over the transfer with a permanent marker.



The shadowbox I had found at Michaels had a fuzzy back to it, so I put little bits of velcro onto the back of each tile and positioned them in the shadowbox. After it was all done I decided to paint the box black. :)



So, here we go! For $4 (the price of the shadowbox) I replicated what would have cost me $100. It was fairly simple and only took about an hour. And it combines my love of board games and my love of my boyfriend. And that is pretty awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment