I need more space!

Even though I took over the larger side of the bathroom, I still find that I always have clutter on my counter. So this weekend I came up with an idea on how to get a bit more space. Go up!

I had an old Benno DVD tower from IKEA that was just sitting around. It looked like it was the same width as the little counter wall area between my vanity and the tub. So I did some measuring and then started cutting the Benno down to the right size. 



I needed one leg to be a little longer to help balance (that will make sense later!) on the ledge. After I had it all put together, it looked a bit plain. So I went to Lowes and got 2 pieces of trim, for about $8. I carefully cut the trim using a mitre box and handsaw to fit along the edges and then glued it down with Gorilla Wood Glue.




I left a gap at the top of the of the DVD tower to put the molding, which I cut using my dad's saw. You can cut it with a mitre box and handsaw, but the molding I had was made of MDF and takes forever to cut by hand! I used more Gorilla glue and some small finishing nails to attach the molding. Then covered the nail heads and corners with wood putty. 



I cut some extra, much thinner trim to put along the fronts of the shelves. Then I sanded and painted the whole thing. 



And this is what it looks like in my bathroom! It easily holds all of my bubble baths, mouth wash, and other counter top bottles. 



(Please ignore the unfinished painting - I meant to get it done last week but got bronchitis instead!) 

So, now you can see why on leg is longer! It helps with extra balance and does not allow the tower to get bumped off the ledge and into the tub. haha. Because that would suck. Once I am all done painting and adding trim to my mirror I will screw the tower to the wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment