Tired.. Sore.. and Covered in Drywall!

Last weekend I decided that it was time to work on our Master Bathroom. 




Please excuse the mess, I had already started taking things out of the medicine cabinets, etc. Anyway, this is our bathroom before. It's really nice, I just was not a big fan of the color. The walls are beige, tiles beige, etc. I wanted something a bit brighter, so I picked Sherwin WIlliams Balmy. It looked like a nice blue on the color sample, so I decided to go for it and bought a gallon.

First and ONLY time I will ever buy a gallon of paint without first buying a sample and testing it on the walls! It was bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue! Super blue. So blue that my boyfriend said "Wow.. that's blue!" and usually he's ok with any color I pick. haha. Back to Lowe's for a lighter shade and it was perfect!



This color is called Sherwin WIlliams Snowdrop. And I looooooove it! My mom had given me the paint swatch, but there wasn't a SW near me. Fortunately Lowes will color match it for you as long as you have the number code or color name. They can look it up in their paint directory.

I also learned they can look up other things, like sports teams. The paint guy was telling us he could look up the Packers and find their exact team colors. My mom tested him and had him look up Ohio State. haha. Which they had! :D

As I was painting around the room I came across our ugly towel bar. They are ceramic wall mounts with a plastic bar. Putting more than one towel on it makes the plastic part start to bow.. And did I mention they are ugly?




So it had to go! I started off by using a razor blade to score around the base of each wall mount to loosen the glue that was holding them in place. Then I took a small screwdriver and a hammer and gently pried it from the wall. They actually came off much easier than I expected! I had googled how to remove them and came across a bunch of stories of people having to break them off the wall. But mine came off easily. And fortunately whoever installed these was nice enough to leave a chunk of drywall stil attached to the wall.




Fortunately, my super awesome parents left us a nice piece of drywall when they were over last time helping us fix another wall. So I used the piece from the hole as a template to cut 3 more pieces. I took some Liquid Nails (lots and lots of Liquid Nails) and glued a shim across the back of the hole in the wall. This was going to be used to keep the filler piece of drywall in place. 



While it was drying I clamped the shim in placed with a handy clampy thing from my dad and went to work removing the bar above the toilet. :) I let the glue dry for about an hour, then fitted the filler pieces of drywall into the holes and covered with spackle. 


It's pink and dries white :D

And that is where the project is at for now. Going to be doing a lot of sanding, more spackling, more sanding, etc tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment